Home Search About Map

On the corner of the Wingham Cemetery nearest the town is an impressive grey marble vault that adds much to the appearance of the grounds. It was erected by the family of the late John Roe. The vault is 17 feet long and 14 feet wide, and stands 15 feet above the ground and 5 feet below. Four large granite pillars adorn the front with the entire structure lined with granite. The windows are stained glass and the doors bronze. It took about five weeks to erect at a cost of $6000 in 1917. It is large enough to hold fourteen caskets. Dr. W. R. Roe of Philadelphia was responsible for its erection. He and Dr. W. J. Roe are entombed there.

The first burial ground in Wingham was opened in 1866 on Josephine Street where the town park is today. Once the railroad come and town grew northward, it was seen that a larger cemetery was needed farther from town. In 1876, 10 acres were purchased from Alex Kelly outside the Town Plot, and the graves were removed from town. On the highest point of land in the grave yard there is a grey granite marker inscribed with the name Hugh Cummings, dated 1876. This marks the first burial held in the present Wingham Cemetery.

In May 1913 the congregation of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church purchased one acre of land south of the Wingham Cemetery from Mr. Kelly to be used for burial purposes. Up to this time, cemeteries in St. Augustine and Teeswater were used by members of this congregation. In July 1954 a delegation from the Sacred Heart Parish, consisting of Rev. Durand, A. J. Lockridge, and Gerald Brophy asked the town council to take over the care of the Catholic Cemetery and to operate it in conjunction with its own Cemetery. The council agreed if a charge of $15 was paid for permanent care for each grave in their cemetery.

In May 1958 Father Durand met with the council in regard to the town assuming control of the Catholic Cemetery at once, maintaining the perpetual care agreements which were in force and in future making charges for lots and care on the same basis as used for the adjoining Wingham one. The deed for the Roman Catholic Cemetery was signed over to the town; proper records and a cemetery plan were set up and the staff assumed responsibility for the care of the property.

It has been said that the most elaborate tombstone to be seen in this part of the country is located in the Wingham Cemetery. This monument was erected to the memory of Francis G. Sparling, who was a partner in the company that owned the Salt Block. He died in 1916. Another interesting marker sits in the Hanna plot and marks the grave of John Hanna, who died in 1884 at the age of 98. There are inscriptions on the four sides of the huge grey granits monument. The history of the entire Hanna family since the first one came from County Down Ireland is recorded.

Over at the northwest corner of the cemetery is the Chapel that was built in 1952. It is a dignified edifice of red brick erected on the north side of the grounds. On the main floor is room for those who attend burial services, so they need not be exposed to weather during winter months. On the lower floor there is storage space for fifty caskets. It was opened and dedicated on Sunday Now. 16, 1952. Mayer W. W. Gurney was the chairman, assisted by Rev. H. L. Parker and Rev. A. Nimmo. The building is for the use of all creeds.

The Wingham Cemetery is a well maintained burial ground, with many shade trees, well trimmed grass, and good roads throughout the grounds. Much of the history of Wingham is recorded there.

- Taken from "Museum Musings: Brief Glimpses of Wingham's Past" by John W. Pattison

E-mail the webmaster with problems or comments

Copyright 2002 Wingham Cemetery